Friday, October 1, 2010

Day 1: Strict Zone/Paleo

So I'm not going to start off by explaining what Paleo or Zone/Paleo is - there are a ton of resources online. Instead I'm going right into why I'm doing this (primarily why I'm doing zone/paleo instead of paleo).


1. I lost the majority of my weight doing weight watchers (see about me section) so I like counting and it doesn't bother me


2. I do not do well with uncontrolled portions of food because as I have found out in my Paleo experiments the last few weeks I will consume lara bars, nuts and those sorts of tasty things way before I would pick up a chicken breast =)


3. There is a nutrition contest at my gym (the BEST GYM EVER) and the only way to win is to have a noticeable difference in before/after photo's. . .and everyone buys in so there's a pot of money to win and Mama needs a scooter. . .so there you have it


Today is Day 1 - I plan to use this blog really as an accountability system for myself but maybe also as some motivation for my gym family to stay on course. . .and maybe even for those of you out in the world who are considering eating this way. I also plan to use this to document the emotional journey that withdrawing from diet coke and the crack/cocaine that is obviously inside of it. Additionally, if this blog gets me on Oprah or Tyra I won't be mad about that either. . . .yes, I said it - Oprah or Tyra!


Just for a brief background - I've dabbled with Zone Paleo before but never found the right # of blocks to make me not want to kill people or cry at the gym (yes, that's right - cry). . .so I went back to Paleo but found that I just was eating too much of the good stuff to frequently. I also have NEVER given up diet coke. .


Okay so here's what happened so far today


Woke up and prepared myself to have breakfast which includes black coffee (I'm in graduate school and not giving up coffee). . it was ultimately DISGUSTING. . .I tried to put coconut milk in it and it became this weird oily mix of nastiness - but guess what I drank it anyway. I've met myself without coffee and it's not nice, in fact it's mean


Then I got excited because I went to the Dekalb International Farmers Market - I haven't been in about a YEAR and when I checked out realized how dumb it was  (http://www.dekalbfarmersmarket.com/). I got FOUR bags of groceries and it was $60.00 bucks - $60. . .


So here are some of the goodies I plan to make this week


1. flax seed crackers with guacamole - I think a great way to get fat in and I had them at R. Thomas before and they are DELICIOUS
2. spaghetti squash with meat sauce - I love spaghetti squash. . .like whenever I get spaghetti squash I overeat it just because I can. . .it is SUPER low carb and great!
3. paleo jerk chicken
4. a large salad with a cut up pear, some walnuts, avocado with olive oil drizzled on top (had some of this for lunch and it was FANTASTIC)
5. mexican lettuce wraps - basically making the meat filling and adding salsa and stuff and wrapping it in lettuce


I'm excited. . .and love spending practically no money for so much food.


PS - Thanks to B for this challenge. I'm a year into crossfit and this is the first one I've had the courage to sign up for
PPS - Sorry in advance Jeff, I have a feeling I will be having diet coke withdrawals in your presence

2 comments:

  1. Love you Jazzy- You'll do great! Can't wait for our paleo dates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog, girl. I can't wait to see all our progress. I mean, of course I'll have the most progress and win, but of course I cheer for the rest of you all to make some progress too.

    ReplyDelete