Friday, October 8, 2010

Day 8: Week 1: The Good, The Bad and the Scary =)

Well ladies and gentleman of the inter-webs (I told you I'd be using that word more frequently - ha!) we find ourselves at the end of week 1 and here are my observations. (please excuse the list type format I am extreme Type A personality so making lists make me feel calm) =)

The Good
I'm down 5.6 pounds - I don't know how, I don't know why and I'm certainly not going to question it. BUT as I have told everyone I can speak to the scale is NOT the answer.

(Let me repeat that primarily for Kristen) THE SCALE IS NOT THE ANSWER

Body fat % is, plain and simple. We have all heard of the skinny fat and those types of observations but regardless of how 'thin' you look you can still be in poor health and I'm sure we all know people who are 'tiny' by all standards and can't run a mile.

So on November 3rd a few of us are getting our body fat tested post challenge. Again, because I have simple short term goals, my body fat test result goals are simple. All I want in life is for the body fat tester man to never again say to me I have good news and bad news. I mean NEVER.

The Good and  Little Bit of Scary
I have EXTREME clarity about my sick sick relationship with food. As I've mentioned before, and I think is for most women we take our relationship with food from when we were younger. I know for me I have dieted for most of my life, and EVEN when I was so super thin in middle and high school I was dieting. It's not normal, it's not healthy BUT I think that whole back and forth relationship with food is what makes me feel in so many ways like throwing myself a pity party for doing 'everything right' and not seeing the results I want .

(please reference Day 6's blog where I actually get honest about the truth of the matter that I'm not REALLY doing everything right - and who really is? and again, why do I care what everyone else is doing? This is about me AND my health. I'm the one who wants to live to 116 so I can sit in a rocking chair on my porch and yell at people, and no one can say anything because I'm old! )

The Bad and Potentially Good
 I love coffee. Let me restate this to be clear, I love coffee with creamer - I still miss creamer. Every day. It is the first thing I think about when waking up (reference above, sick relationship with food - ha!). I love coffee with creamer in a way that is likely not normal or healthy - in fact, I used to think that when I got to heaven I would be surrounded by tator tots, but now I think that in heaven there will be a Starbucks - that's right, I said it, Starbucks in heaven =)

So every morning I wake up and get a little sad thinking about black tea. However, I am praying that Macy's can save the day with an espresso maker that is $9.99 - I KNOW - I KNOW! I'm going today, trust me =) Thanks to Veronica and Raul for the suggestion! (Yet, another reason to go to Crossfit Peachtree - other members can solve your life's probems - lol)

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=399844&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

The Bad and Scary
 Sadly, I am a little frightened to eat out. I know this sounds crazy. But in my graduate school bubble I am pretty much able to eat my breakfast at home, 1st and 2nd lunch at school in my cubicle and dinner at home. I don't really want to experiment with eating out yet (again, yes - I realize this is crazy)

The Goal
 I still want to lift cars, maintain pretty and go on Oprah =)

So world - what lessons have you learned in this week? What's your good, bad and scary? Anything you've realized about yourself and your relationship with food? Anything you've been SO proud of yourself for?

THANKS also for the comments - I now know that there are SO many of us that are going through all the same things. Who would have thought?!

3 comments:

  1. Jasmine, I totally hear you! You know I have good, bad and scary to share (the abridged versions) but you're doing great and through all of this you'll learn what's best for you to feel your best.

    My good - since starting eating 80/20 paelo I am the leanest I have ever been without swimming 6,000 yards a day and having a teenager's metabolism:) I can make it through afternoon meetings without feeling like I am going to pass out and I really do not crave pastries anymore (but I still have them once in a while).

    My bad - I get frustrated with people being like "oh she eats healthy" like I am some kind of freak. I hate that - but I also know that I still don't eat well all the time. I wonder if 20% is an accurate percentage for cheats for me so I am keeping myself from gaining the total benefit - but I don't have a particular goal...which is good and bad.

    My scary - where to start - I considered eating baby food as snacks. I realized that as much as I love food I fear it! I have never been particularly heavy or had an eating disorder, but I am afraid of gaining weight no matter how thin/healthy I am. I am highly aware of what I eat now, which is good, but hopefully I will get to a place when I am not as self critical about it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jasmine,

    Thanks for posting day 8. Go you for being so honest and awesome!

    I thought eating out was awful and I was just going to die, but a few tweaks here and there and I've been okay. But I definitely understand that it's easier to eat at home and there are no temptations. (Smelling pizzas and pastas out is killer!)

    Keep it up girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jasmine,

    I work at a restaurant so I am around food alll the time...to the point that it is totally nauseating. It kind of does seem like the enemy at times. However, obviously I have to eat and I feel I have mastered the art of eating out...It takes a little: "no cheese", "no bun" modifications here and there. Sometimes I just say "I don't eat dairy or gluten"...and I think there are enough people out there like that that servers aren't floored to hear these requests. And hell, I wait tables and get complicated orders all the time so it's really just karma. I actually pride myself on being able to eat paleo anywhere I go...it just takes a little work but it's almost like a game at this point. That's my good.

    My bad and scary? This blasted plateau I seem to have hit...I saw slow steady results over the past months and now the scale seems stuck. I have become more strict with my diet and workouts and seem to not be seeing any results...I guess it just takes patience!! Something I struggle with!

    Congrats on the weight loss!

    ReplyDelete