Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Day 5: 80/20 rule and my Goal for the nutrition contest

Mother Master of Crossfit Peachtree told us that as part of this nutrition challenge we had to have a non-crossfit related goal. Hmmmm - I've been thinking about this for a while (primarily because as a graduate student - we think ALL DAY. . .we can't turn it off - I think when I sleep - it's amazing! You should try it sometime) =) But I've been trying for a while to decide what my goal was. . .I don't do well with short term goals, I like to think big picture and other than writing a dissertation, being on Oprah or Tyra and lifting cars I don't really have anything else on the horizon I want to achieve. 


But I've been thinking about my weird CRAZY jacked up relationship that I've had with food, my body, my thoughts about my body, food, food, and food since I was in highschool and I wondered if 30 days of doing something completely good for my body would help me gain perspective on this.


I was also inspired to write this by a very pretty girl at Crossfit Peachtree who won the last nutrition challenge =) She mentioned that she follows an 80/20 rule with Paleo. . .and I do as well. . . Most of the time . .well sort of.  See as I started to think about my results these past few days, how I feel, how my muffin top is starting to disappear (and watching other people at the gym who in 5 days seem to also be shrinking) I started to think about whether that 80% was actually happening. 


And when I think about it and am 100% honest with myself I'm not REALLY following Paleo 80% of the time.  I'm having cream in my coffee, drinking diet coke every day, and eating a Greek Yogurt, among other things. So I know what your thinking (it's the same thing I think) - SO WHAT! 


That's what I thought (pre nutrition challenge too). . .Greek Yogurt isn't bad, and diet coke has no calories. . .that can NOT be the reason I'm not seeing the results I wanted. That's what I basically have been telling myself - that those things are okay BECAUSE. . .because I work hard in the gym, I work hard at school, I am more strict with my eating than 94% of the people I know in the world, etc, etc, etc.


BUT I'm starting to realize that the results I'm getting are exactly reflective of how I'm eating. I'm basically (if I REALLY think about it) only eating Paleo 50-60% of the time, which is the type of weight loss results I'm seeing. And that's just NOT ME! I don't give 50% in any aspect of my life - work, school, etc. If I only gave 50% in the gym everyone would yell at me =) So why is it that in this one area of my life I'm only giving 50%? 


I don't know ladies and gentleman of the interwebs (hahaha interwebs - I'd like to use that word once a day!)- I think it has something to do with the fact that I've been throwing myself a pity party for not being able to get these last 15/20 pounds off. . . why me? why do I have to be so strict? why do I have to eat 1/2 apple while I watch other seemingly thin, healthy people eat sandwiches?


But even more importantly - why the HELL do I care? When am I going to stop comparing myself and my body to other people and just STOP?! I want to peeps - I REALLY do. . .and I'm hoping this nutrition challenge will give me that perspective. 


So after all of that blabbering I'm here to state my goal: I'd like to be more honest with myself about my results or lack thereof and how they are directly reflective of the commitment/or lack thereof to eating the way I know my body needs it.


Basically my goal is to put up or shut up. I can NOT complain anymore about not seeing certain results when I don't fully commit to what I know I need to do. . .


So peeps - how much are you committing to what you put in your mouth versus what you do at the gym? =) And what are you going to do to change that?

6 comments:

  1. Jazzy I <3 you, you're soo right. 70% of the time I do it 80% of the time...well just this little cheat. Going clean for 30 days you will see results but what is really great is that you will introduce things back in and then take note of how it affects your body. So one week add cheese only see what it does if nothing then keep it. It is so weird how if I eat sugar for a few days in a row I blow up. If I eat grains the next day I see it in my face...

    I am proud of you girlie and thanks for the props!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly inspiring J!! I often feel the same way! I feel like I am always on a diet/watching what I eat and depriving myself.... but somehow I am not getting the results I want? Wonder why?
    Cause I too was only doing 50%:) but felt like I was trying so hard.. most of the time, then I would be beating myself up about it why nothing was changing.

    Your blog is quickly becoming a daily routine with my black coffee:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heart you both =) I'm glad that I'm articulating what other people are thinking - because sometimes I wonder "is it just me" lol

    Alicia - I wake up EVERY DAY thinking about cream in my coffee. . .literally, first thought! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. It's very honest and inspiring and almost on-line to what I was wanting my goal to be ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree too, Jazzy. What an effing brilliant goal. Good luck holding yourself to it. 7 days down!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving this blog girl...The thing I've been struggling with the most is cutting out alcohol! Working in the restaurant industry makes it really hard...I've been following Paleo pretty strictly, honestly about 80/20 since February but have never cut back on drinking. I've seen results but for this 30 days I'm not drinking at all and it has been hard so far! It's all about willpower I guess and delayed gratification vs. instant gratification.

    ReplyDelete